About this Website
- Website Management
- Site Layout and Design
- Content and Contributors
- Guidelines for Linking to this Website
This website is managed and maintained by the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet in Canberra, Australia. All enquiries regarding site management, performance or technical issues should be addressed to the Web Administrator through the Contact Us section of this website.Top
This site is designed in accordance with the Better Practice in Online Service Delivery guidelines produced by the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO).
This website is arranged using a number of different navigational areas.
- General site navigation
- Main content navigation
- Quick search
- Special features
- Page footer
- Other features
This area of general site navigation is available on every page of this website. It lists some general pages that are not topic specific and offer content that cuts across a number of the areas of the website, including:
- Subscription to Commonwealth Flag Network
- FAQ's, and
- Site Search
A return to home link is also available in this section.Top
This area presents the six main areas of content available on the website and is available on every page of the site. This allows users to move from any section on the site to any other section on the site in a single 'click'. This menu may also expand in some areas to display sub-sections of information available under the chosen heading.
- Welcome and News - provides a link back to the homepage of the site that contains the latest news items.
- Honours - the largest content section of the site containing information on the honours system, the medals and awards, Honoured Australians, nominating/applying, announcements and searching the Australian Honours database.
- Symbols - contains information on the history, use and description of the Australian National flag and other flags, flag announcements, the anthem, floral emblem, gemstone and national colours.
- Commonwealth Coat of Arms - contains information on the history, heraldry and use of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms.
- Anniversary Messages - contains information on what they are, who qualifies and arranging an anniversary message.
- Media Centre - contains information for the media, including factsheets, FAQ's and images.
Available on every page on the site, this quick search box allows you to run a search on the Australian Honours database using a recipient first name and surname.
More advanced searching is available under the Search Australian Honours section of this website.
This area is used to alert visitors to special or topical content features that lay deeper within the site. These features will change periodically.
The footer appears on every page on the site and provides quick links to site management and governance information as well as providing links to the Contact Us service, help on using the site and an A-Z index to browse.
The site also features 'Honoured Australian Banners' that appear on the main landing pages. (The Homepage, Honours, Symbols, Commonwealth Coat of Arms, Anniversary Messages and Media Centre).
They are a black banner appearing at the top of the main content section featuring an image and quote from one of our Honoured Australians
These banners are featured in a random cycle and will be different each time the page appears or is refreshed.
All material contained in this site is copyright except where explicitly stated to the contrary, and is intended for your general use and information. Some content and images have been supplied by other sources and cannot be reproduced or used without express permission from those respective sources. Credit and source information for images is contained within the 'Alt text' tag and/or the caption of each image.
For further information please see the website's Copyright Statement.Top
We welcome links from other websites to the It's an Honour website.
If you intend to create a link, we request that you adopt the following guidelines:
- When linking to the website, link to main collection level pages wherever possible. For example http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/index.cfm.
- Deep linking is permitted, however this can create maintenance overheads as the page to which you link may become unavailable or move.
- Where appropriate to the context of the link, it is good practice to indicate the website to which the user will link. For example 'Link to the It's an Honour website'
The correct name of the website is the It's an Honour website.
Please note that permission to link to this website is not granted if:
- Inclusion on the requesting site implies the endorsement of the site or product.
- The requesting site uses the It's an Honour website solely for commercial purposes.
- The material linked to is changed technically (e.g. the material is framed and users are unable to determine the location of the original material).
- Linking to the site is deemed to be in contravention of government policy or not in the public interest.
If you have any queries regarding linking to this website, please contact the Web Administrator through the Contact Us section of this website.Top
How to link to this website
It is preferred that links to this website take the form of a text-based contextual link with the full wording - It's an Honour website - in accordance with the guidelines listed above.
Please copy and paste the following code into your HTML
<a href="http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au">It's an Honour website</a>