Australian Active Service Medal 1945-1975
The Australian Active Service Medal 1945-1975 recognises the service of Australian Defence Force and certain other persons in prescribed warlike operations such as the Korean War, the Malayan Emergency, the Indonesian Confrontation and the Vietnam War.
Another award entitled, Australian Active Service Medal, recognises service of Australian Defence Force and certain other persons in prescribed warlike operations from February 1975 onwards.
The Prime Minister, announced the introduction of the Australian Active Service Medal 1945-1975 in December 1997.
The 30-year period covers numerous conflicts in Australia's region.
The Governor-General awards the Australian Active Service Medal 1945-1975 on the recommendation of the Chief of the Defence Force or their delegate.
The medal has the clasps: Korea, Malaya, Malaysia, Thai/Malay, Thailand and Vietnam.
Veterans who have received or who are entitled to the Korea Medal, a General Service Medal for service in the Malayan Emergency 1948-1960 or the Indonesian confrontation 1962-1966, the Vietnam Medal and some categories of the Vietnam Logistics and Support Medal are eligible for the Australian Active Service Medal 1945-1975.
The medal has the following clasps:
- Korea (1/7/50-27/7/53)
- Malaya (16/6/48-31/7/60)
- Activities in Brunei, Nth Borneo and Sarawak (8/12/62-23/12/62)
- Activities in Sabah, Sarawak and Brunei (24/12/62-11/8/66)
- Activities in Malay Peninsula and Singapore (17/8/64-11/8/66)
- Royal Thai AF Base Ubon (25/6/65-31/8/68)
- 2 Field Troop, RAE at Ban Kok Talat in Operation CROWN (25/6/65-31/8/68)
- Land and air anti-terrorist operations (1/8/60-31/12/64)
- RAAF air operations (17/8/64-30/3/66)
- Recipients of GSM South Vietnam (24/12/62-28/5/64)
- Recipients of Vietnam Medal (29/5/64-27/1/73)
- Recipients of VLSM (29/5/64-27/1/73)
For an application form write to:
Directorate of Honours and Awards
Department of Defence
CANBERRA ACT 2600
Or phone the free-call number: 1800 111 321
There is no post-nominal for this medal.
The Australian Active Service Medal 1945-1975 is a nickel-silver medal ensigned with the Crown of St Edward.
The obverse has a Federation Star with the inscription ‘The Australian Active Service Medal 1945-1975’. The reverse has a wreath of golden wattle flanking a central horizontal panel.
The medal ribbon has a central red stripe flanked by yellow stripes which in turn are flanked by stripes of blue, green and purple.
The information on this page is available as a printable fact sheet.
- Australian Active Service Medal 1945-1975 - Fact Sheet - PDF 57KB | RTF 859KB
Note: For more information on PDF files and their use see the PDF Help page on this site.