For Teachers Introduction
Children holding the Australian National Flag at Parliament House.
Welcome to the For Teachers section of the ‘It’s an Honour’ website.
It has been designed to assist you to educate your students about the Australian honours system, national symbols and our Commonwealth Coat of Arms. Access to information on each topic is provided for you and your students via the main left-hand menu.
The educational resource material under For Students is designed for upper primary students throughout Australia. It covers all learning areas and is adaptable for a wide range of learning levels and abilities.
Broad learning outcomes
- Understand Australia’s distinctive honours system, including its history, the types of awards and how they are announced and presented.
- Discover more about our national symbols.
- Understand the history and significance of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms and its relevance and use.
The resource material is provided in printable PDF and HTML formats, and links are below.
For each topic there are:
- Lesson and activity ideas
- Quick Quizzes, for use as a tool for review, or to assist with student engagement. (Answers are also provided).
- a glossary has been developed within the context of the accompanying information provided on the ‘It’s an Honour’ website.
Please note: Words which are represented with a dashed underline are ‘glossary terms’, when selecting a glossary term you will be then taken to the relevant page for the terms reference.